Banish Your Natural Hair Blues With This Wash Day Secret
I've been natural for over 10 years. That's right...TEN YEARS and I'm not still not at the coveted "bra-strap" length. Don't judge me. There is an explanation. I, like many of you, have fallen victim to repeated attempts to straighten, color, stretch, pull, and weave my frock in an effort to look like all those natural beauties I follow on Insta with the curly, flowing hair we all think we we're gonna' have when we ditch the creamy crack. (Tell me you didn't at least think you were going to have an effortless wash-and-go when you first underwent the big chop). I have struggled through many, many, many iterations of my "best self" over the years before accepting my hair just the way it is aided by the mantra "I am fearfully and wonderfully made and that my soul knows full well." (Psalm 139:14)
But, I still needed a maintenance plan.....
In December my mother-in-law, Evelyn Shaw, visited me in Japan. In her suitcase she came bearing Amino Acids, Kinky Curly, and Aztec Clay! How she was not stopped at the airport for carrying these suspicious items, I don't know. What can I say? We natural sisters have one million ways to hide our treasured hair care products from TSA!
At first her new regimen (which included several steps and began with a 7-day wash challenge) seemed prohibitively complex and cumbersome. However, when I compared my crunchy coils to Mama Shaw's soft and dewey ones, I had to try it. Now, after 6 months with the Max Hydration Method, I can honestly say that it works!
Trust me, I have tried a lot of products so I know that the best way to find what's right for your unique tresses is through trial and error. So if you are desperate for moisture and want to see a major change in your hair, give it a try!
Note: Using the Max Hydration Method starts with a 7-day moisture challenge and a detailed list of accepted products and steps. You MUST consult www.maxhydrationmethod.com for all of the details. I use a MODIFIED VERSION.
1. Every other week I use a modified Cherry-Lola Treatment which includes 2 cups of Greek Yogurt, 2 teaspoons of Baking Soda and 2 teaspoons of Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids. On the alternate weeks I use 3 oz. Kinky Curly Knot Today Conditioner with 1 tablespoon of Baking Soda and 5-6 ounces of water. The Baking Soda lifts the hair cuticle so that moisture can get into the hair shaft. This is what my hair looks like when the yogurt mixture is pulled all the way through my hair.
2. Leave this step on for 30 minutes and then rinse. Then mix 2-3 more ounces of Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner with 5-6 ounces of only water and soak your hair with it and leave on the hair for another 30 minutes. After step one your hair will just drink up this moisture and I find that these 30 minute rotations give me ample time to catch up on episodes of Blackish.
3. The final big step is the Clay treatment. I use 1/4 cup of Aztec Healing Clay with 1/2 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. You COAT your hair with this mixture. I know what you're thinking, GROSS! But trust me, it is finely ground, commercial grade clay which is used for facials! It cleanses the scalp and aids in moisture absorption. Here is what my hair looks like with the clay in it.
4. The clay stays in for 30 minutes and then rinse. Leave your hair soaking wet and put one more dose of Knot Today mixed with water for a light leave in. If you have tried this product before and didn't like it, trust me, you will love it mixed with water!
5. Seal the hair with Kinky Curly Custard and Coconut Oil. Apply the custard first and then the coconut oil. Again, I will tell you that this product works much better when used this way. The coconut oil takes away all the stickiness and flaking and seals in the gel (which seals in the moisture).
Voila! Moisture, shine, and body! This regimen sounds difficult I know, but it is SO worth the time. As you can see, after almost 6 months, my hair has grown and I now have proper bangs which I have always wanted! You might want to try out a modified version that fits your lifestyle. If you do, please let us know! We love to hear your stories!
Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to our website to get more style and inspiration tips! Also, we would love for you to follow us on IG @chastitystemmons and @happyrobinshaw, on Facebook: Chastity Stemmons Enterprises, and Twitter: @tweetchastity.